I'm new with Photography. I'm still learning a lot, getting the hang of it but I just cant help gettting excited about the Sinulog Photo Contest for 2010. Found the information below from the Sinulog Foundation Website. (FYI: the Sinulog Foundation Center is in Cebu City Sports Complex)
Im still thinking about joining the contest. Im not sure I have the guts and ability to join the contest but my friends will be there. It is going to be one hell of a PARTeY!. Will definitely let you know if I've made my decision. For the mean time, you can enjoy reading the RULES of the photo contest below. Photo enthusiasts will definitely have a great time on Saunday.
By the way guys, tonight is the First Sinulog Fireworks Contest, this will be held at SM City Cebu, fronting North Wing! Be sure to be there at exactly 8:00PM. See yah guys there!. C:
1. The photography contest is open to all amateur and professional photographers who will register with the Sinulog Foundation during the prescribed registration period for SINULOG PHOTO CONTEST 2010.
2. Official entry forms / Registration for photo contest participants will open January 2, 2010 at the Sinulog Foundation, Inc. office from 9:00 A.M. – 5:00 P.M. Look for Dolly Del Mar.
3. Deadline for registration will be on January 16, 2010 at 5:00 P.M.
4. Registration Fee is SIX HUNDRED FIFTY(P650.00). Registration fee covers a competition ID allowing access to most SINULOG 2010 activities, SINULOG T –SHIRT (MUST BE WORN DURING SINULOG DAY) plus ten (10) entries of (5R) photographs. An additional thirty pesos (P30.00) will be charged for every additional photo. Each participant will be issued an ID number that will be used in identifying the Photographs upon submission of the entries. In case of disqualification, registration fees and entry fees are not refundable.
5. This year, there are two Modes of Picture Take being considered.
Film Category – Any analog camera film size / format can be used, as long as the final entry must be a printed (5”x7”)
Digital Category – Digital Cameras that are capable of taking Raw Format Files, APS format cameras are eligible.
6. Photo Contest Categories – all activities involving SINULOG 2010.
a. Contingent – competing or guest participants of SINULOG 2010 Grand Parade on January 17, 2010. Picture must be group dancing the SINULOG and not of a solo dancer.
b. Fluvial and Solemn Procession – January 16, 2010, the miraculous image is sea borne along the coasts of Mandaue and Lapu-lapu cities while the solemn processing passes thru the principal streets of Cebu City.
c. Float / Higante and Puppeteers – January 17, 2010, pictures of float, Higante and Puppeteers must include the whole structure and not the personalities on board the float. Float, Puppeteers & Higante shots should include the carrier inside the contraption.
d. Décor / Arch and sidelights – These pictures may be taken anytime (day or night) of arches and décor set up for SINULOG 2010. Sidelights are human interest pictures taken in the parade route on SINULOG day or in any other activity taken during the SINULOG week.
e. Festival Queen – Photo to be taken while subject is dancing.
7. Deadline for submission of Photo – entries will be on Friday, January 22, 2010 at 5:00 P.M.
8. Final entries shall be submitted as un-mounted 5”x7” Photo Print. In must be in an envelope with the corresponding SINULOG 2010 photo competition ID number only.
All 5”x7” (5R) Chemistry-based print Photo entries must be accompanied in a separate envelope by:
a. If taken in digital format, the corresponding Raw File (e.g NEF, CRW, etc.) in CD format with the name of the photographer and the ID number on the CD and covering on the envelope.
b. If APS, the whole magnetic strip must be surrendered with the photographers name and ID number on the film case and on the envelope.
c. If Analog, the corresponding negative / transparency in an envelope with the photographers name and ID number.
9. Entries must be candid shots: not deliberately posed. Although some degree of effort can be done in posing your subjects (the dancers, Candle vendors, etc.) we however discourage photographers to bring their own models around for the parade like one would do on a photo assignment.
10. Identifying marks, signs and address to insinuate information of ownership is strictly prohibited on the photo entry.
11. Judging of the PHOTO Contest will be on January 26, 2010.
12. Decision of the designated Board of Judges shall be final and unappealable.
13. Awarding of Prizes to Winners will be on January 30, 2010.
B. RULES OF THE CONTEST
1. Each contest must have a minimum of ten (10) contestants in order to declare a valid contest. If entries are less than (10) that category will be declared “NO CONTEST” and prizes are reverted to the foundation.
2. Photos must be taken from actual events during the SINULOG 2010 celebration in Cebu City. Pictures of any Sinulog celebration or any other festival in other places and venues and in previous years will not be allowed and would be immediately disqualified.
3. All entries must be submitted on or before January 22, 2010 with its duly accomplished forms. Photographs taken in digital format must be accompanied with the proprietary Raw format (e.g. NEF, CRW etc.) digital file in CD format. Film negatives, APS magnetic files must be surrendered to the Sinulog Foundation, Inc. office at the Cebu City Sports Center. Non attachment of these requirements would mean immediate disqualification.
4. Any digital manipulation tool (e.g. cut & paste, healing, etc.) that is not applicable / do able in the printing process from an analog media (film), shall mean immediate disqualification of the entry. Post production like exposure control (dodge and burn); Color saturation (control); creative cropping are all do able when you print from a negative. Even conversion to black and white color toning (sepia, blue, selenium, etc.) as long as its done across the frame and not only ins selected areas is acceptable.
5. All finalists and winning entries shall become the exclusive property of the Sinulog Foundation, inc. and can not be reproduced nor reprinted for Publication without the permission of the Foundation. The photographer may not use the photographs or variants of that same composition in any other purpose except for his personal portofolio. Corresponding compensation shall also be accorded the owner of the photo of winning entries.
6. The royalty of the photographer shall not apply every time the Sinulog Foundation, Inc. should use the photos in the promotion and management of the Sinulog Festival. Other than that, Terms and Conditions of the Intellectual Property Rights Law shall apply. Photographers will be given photo credits every time applicable.
7. Judging of entries is scheduled on January 26, 2010. Winners will be published in local dailies in due time with the date and venue of awarding of trophies and prizes.
8. The decision of the BOARD OF JUDGES is final and unappealable.
GRAND PRIZE (OVER-ALL BEST PHOTO) – P50,000.00 + TROPHY
2ND PRIZE (0VER-ALL BEST PHOTO) – P30,000.00 + TROPHY
3RD PRIZE (0VER-ALL BEST PHOTO) – P20,000.00 + TROPHY
(Sidelights, Higante, Puppeteers, Arch, Contingent, Festival Queen, Religious / Fluvial)
1st Prize – P 15,000.00
2nd Prize – P10,000.00
3rd Prize – P5,000.00
4th Prize – P3,000.00
5th Prize – P2,000.00
6th-10th – P1,000.00